Monday, September 27th
Home Security Monitoring Companies: Pros and Cons
Whether you've installed your security system yourself or had it installed professionally, you may be considering what to do about monitoring the system. When choosing how to monitor your security system, you have more choices to make: self-monitoring or a professional monitoring company. Both self-monitoring and hiring a professional
monitoring company offer advantages and disadvantages. This article reviews the advantages and disadvantages
of hiring a professional monitoring company.
Advantages of hiring a professional monitoring company:
- Reliability. With a professional monitoring company, your home security system is monitored 24/7. They will contact the police if they believe a break-in is in progress. Similarly, if the system detects smoke or heat, the security monitoring company will contact the fire department.
- Customer service. The professional monitoring company will handle, address and troubleshoot any problems with the security system. They can resolve issues and repair systems.
- Added features. Professional monitoring companies can offer an integrated security system that includes integrated alarms, surveillance cameras and other components.
- Free equipment. Many professional monitoring companies will offer free equipment for signing a monitoring contract.
- Signage. Professional monitoring companies will provide clients with yard signs and decals indicating that company is monitoring the house. Some research indicates that signage alone can deter crime.
- Installation. When you purchase an alarm system and the monitoring service, the security system will install your alarm system. This ensures that a professional installs the system correctly.
- Maintenance. By signing a contract for security system monitoring, you will also receive regular maintenance and updates to your system to ensure that it's working correctly.
Disadvantages of hiring a professional monitoring company:
- Cost. A professionally monitored system can be costly. The cost begins with installation fees. Plus, the monthly fee of a professional monitoring company can vary depending on the company and the features of the security system. However, whether it's ten dollars a month or twenty dollars a month, those monthly fees add up at the end of each year to quite a bit of money.
- Control. With a self-monitored system, the homeowner is responsible for making the decision on whether or not to call for professional help such as police. This can save money in fines or other costs incurred when a monitoring service sends the police or fire department when it's a false alarm.
- More choices. There are many do-it yourself alarm systems that allow for self-monitoring available at a number of price points. Go online to find the system that suits your needs.
A security system can protect you, your family and your property. Be sure to compare security systems and security monitoring systems online before making a decision. Compare equipment, features and prices. A little research can help you find the security system, monitoring company and price that suits your family's needs and