Saturday, March 2nd
Benefits of an Exercise Bike
The popularity and quality of exercise bikes have increased over the past few years with the development of spinning classes, technology-enhanced equipment, and the need to manage a busy schedule. While the basic bike models still exist, many brands offer sophisticated options that can bring your workout to a whole new level.
Most bikes will track calories burned, monitor distance, and track your heart rate but some take you on a trip across the globe to experience a whole new adventure. There is no need to pay a spin instructor or a trainer. Several brands offer pre-programmed workouts that take you through the mountains and across many challenging bike paths from the comfort of your home. They also offer wireless technology that works with your computer to allow you to select a bike course online, as well as maintain your results.
Health Benefits of Exercise Bikes:
- Cardiovascular Health: Regular use of an exercise bike makes for a stronger, more productive heart. A stronger heart can pump more blood with less effort and improve your ability to walk up a hill or run a marathon.
- Weight Management: If you need to lose weight or are simply looking to maintain your current weight, an exercise bike can burn between 100 to 1,000 calories per session. Regular use of the bike is a great way to burn calories and manage your weight.
- Reduce Serious Health Risks: Regular exercise can help protect you from heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity. Exercise is also an excellent way to reduce stress, which has a negative impact to your health.
Benefits Over Other Exercise Alternatives:
- Easy Maintenance: Bikes generally require very little maintenance or training and are easy to use for just about anyone.
- Low-Impact: Bikes provide exercise that is low-impact and lessens the risk of injury and knee or joint problems. Running, jogging, and incline walking can all put strain on your joints and sideline you with an injury.
- Entertainment/Challenge: Use spinning class videos to increase the burn or choose a bike with the latest workout technology to keep you entertained and challenged. The more entertained you are the more likely you may be to get on that bike each day.
- Gym Membership: At $50 - $150 per month, gym memberships can quickly add up. For some, a gym membership is not only expensive but often unproductive as finding the time to drive to the gym and work out often leads to failure in their efforts. Hundreds to thousands of dollars later they realize they didn't achieve their goals.
- Personal Trainer: Averaging $40 - $60 per hour for guidance, personal trainers require a big financial commitment! If used three times per week for one year, your total investment would be over $7,000. In addition, you have to work around someone else's schedule, which makes it hard to maintain the effort.
- Exercise Classes: Exercise classes are less expensive than a personal trainer but can quickly add up as well. At $5 - $12 per class, if you attend three times per week your total investment would average over $1,200 per year. Classes also have a maximum capacity so if the class is full you're out of luck.
- Convenience: Exercising early in the morning or late at night might be the only times you're free most days. Having an exercise bike conveniently located in your home allows for more regular workouts. You'll also not bother primping or grooming before climbing on your bike in the comfort of your own home, which will ultimately save time in your schedule.
- Routine: If you don't have to rely on good weather to exercise or making the next scheduled aerobic class, it's easier to fall into a routine exercising at home. Fitting time in to exercise is most achievable when it's convenient, and convenience leads to routine and ultimately the results you want.
- Privacy and Safety: Throw on your oldest t-shirt, crank up your MP3 player and jump on your bike anytime of the day without worrying if anyone is judging you. No need to worry about the safety of running outside or walking to and from your car in a dark parking lot when your workout occurs in the basement.
Stationary bikes provide the health benefits, cost savings, and convenience that people need to be successful with their fitness goals. With the latest technology you can look forward to a fun and entertaining challenge on your exercise bike. Choosing a quality bike that lasts and has the features you want is simple. Look for independent reviews to help you in your decision-making.