Our reviewers evaluate products and services based on unbiased research. Top Consumer Reviews may earn money when you click on a link. Learn more about our process.
Thursday, December 3rd
Lice Clinics of America has done the impossible, giving you the ability to end your lice problem in a single one-hour application process with their unique heated-air device. Used in their clinics nationwide, this device kills live lice and dries out eggs without any harmful, smelly chemicals and is backed by a 90-day warranty. Customers rave about how gentle and even pleasant it is - and, best of all, how effectively it tackles a lice infestation. Lice Clinics of America have the industry's best approach among lice products available today.
LiceLogic is a minty-smelling shampoo that is safe enough to use regularly. Application can take longer than some other lice products: 15 minutes of massaging into the hair and scalp, 15 minutes to absorb, and then the typical combing-out. While 75% of LiceLogic shampoo users say that it works well for fighting lice, the company's return policy only allows for a refund on unopened bottles - leaving the other 25% of their customers with no money back and an unsolved lice problem.
If you're dealing with a head lice infestation - maybe your child got them from an outbreak at school, or you spent time volunteering abroad where head lice are a common issue - you want a prooduct that's going to be effective yet gentle. Head lice usually spread by sharing hats, combs and other hair accessories. Anyone can get head lice: it's not related to cleanliness.
Because lice can live for a period of time on bedding, stuffed animals, and clothing, you'll want to wash those items if possible. Some companies offering lice products have sprays you can also use on carpets, or solutions that can be added to the laundry for linens and other items that can't be washed and dried on high-heat settings.
What about dealing with the hair itself? Prepare yourself for a lengthy process. First, you'll need to select a lice product to apply to the hair; while some people may swear by home remedies like mayonnaise or olive oil, those approaches haven't been shown to be effective enough to guarantee that you won't still have nits that hatch later on. Commercially-produced lice products are a much more trustworthy approach. You'll apply the product thoroughly according to the package directions, using a lice comb to help remove live lice and nits - the white specks that at first glance look like dandruff but are firmly attached to the hair shaft.
Recheck the hair 8-12 hours after the product is applied: if you still see active lice, the product may not be working. If this happens, you should talk with your health care provider, who may recommend a different lice product.
If the product you applied does seem to be working - in other words, no live lice are spotted when you check later - you'll still want to comb through the hair with a nit comb every 2-3 days. Why? Those nits in the hair can sometimes hatch days later. For that reason, it's also typically recommended that you reapply the lice product 9-10 days after the first application, so that any newly-hatched lice (from nits that didn't get combed out) are killed before they can lay eggs in the hair. This helps prevent self-reinfestation.
With respect to prevention, some lice product lines have a spray that can be used to help discourage lice from taking up residence in the first place; especially for girls with long hair, many moms swear by pulling their kids' hair back in tight braids before school and spraying with these prevention products, which often use tea tree oil or other natural ingredients.
When deciding which lice product to use in your family, you might feel overwhelmed by the number of choices. Here are some helpful criteria to keep in mind as you narrow down your options to the right lice product for your situation:
TopConsumerReviews.com has reviewed and ranked the best Lice Products on the market today. We hope this information helps you get lice-free quickly, with as little hassle as possible!
Select any 2 Lice Products to compare them head to head
Two Norwegian salmon farmers first to get permission to operate on ...
Aquabyte customers Kvaroy Fiskeoppdrett and Seloy Sjofarm have become the first fish farmers ever to receive dispensation to operate one of their facilities using automatic sea lice counting alone ...
Wed, 25 Nov 2020